Saturday 6 April 2013

How to become a programming god!


What up internet?

Today I want to talk to you about a difficulty curve: not the one that you experience when playing games – but the slope that I'm climbing learning how to make the bloody things!

If you've played our games so far then you may have noticed a thing: every released game is a little bigger and more complex than the last… and they've all got something new about them that the others do not.  This is deliberate!

What I'm trying to say is that this is one of those rare occasions in my life where I'm actually following a plan! In each project I'm setting myself a new challenge or two, with the idea being that I’ll expand my knowledge of games programming a little each time and also add a few new tricks to my toolbox.

So what I thought I’d do with this post is lay out where I think I am with it all and also what I’m thinking of tackling in the future… and why!

The story so far…

Here’s what I’ve conquered so far (on top of learning how to deal with general Flash BS):
  • Basic game AI & logic
  • Cut scenes / movie clips
  • Sprites / animation
  • Sound controls
  • Faking 3d & depth


There’s a bunch of other stuff you need to know to get to this point, but I’m already an experienced programmer so most of it wasn’t new to me… I won’t bother boring you with the details!

So that’s where I am, here’s where I’m headed..

Next steps on the path to enlightenment:


As well as official collaborative project with the other guys I’m also going to keep cracking on with personal learning projects.  From where I am I have a rough roadmap that I want to follow.  Each of these games will teach me a new thing that I want to learn and hopefully let me grow a little as a game developer.  Here’s the list of projects I’ve got in mind – and what I think I’ll get out of it:

  •      A bullethell game  – Dealing with a player avatar on screen
  •      Top down racer – direct twitch input
  •      A platformer – It kinda covers all the skills I’ll have under my belt at that
  •        An adventure game – Mungy wants to remake dizzy...
  •      A multiplayer game – duh multiplayer
  •       A Roguelike – It’s a great way of providing a lot of content efficiently
  •     New platform / something in 3D - dunno
If I get this far then it’ll probably time to move on from Flash…

Along with these I also want to dick around with the following features in my games:

  •        Doing an android game
  •           Integrated leader boards, achievements & player stats
  •           Facebook game
  •        Getting on a game portal like newgrounds / kongregate etc.
  •           Making a game that works with a game pad


So I’m probably going to mash up these two lists and see what comes out J

Anyway that’s the plan, let’s see how it all works out…


No comments:

Post a Comment